CSIF and imagineNATIVE 4th Annual Mentorship Program: Call For Applicants in Alberta
Make a short film for imagineNATIVE 2017!
Application Deadline: Thursday, April 27 by 5:00pm
Are you an emerging Indigenous media artist living in Alberta? Do you have a great idea for a 5-minute short film? Explore filmmaking through the Calgary Society of Independent Filmmakers’ workshops, equipment and facilities. Shoot and edit your ideas to film, and see them on screen and in-person at the 18th Anniversary imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival in Toronto from October 18–22, 2017.
You will be provided with a full CSIF Membership, and be eligible to enroll in any training workshop offered during their Spring and Summer 2017 calendar of workshops. You will be paired with CSIF’S knowledgeable staff to help you through your various development, production and post-production stages.
The participant will receive the opportunity to use the CSIF’s extensive equipment and facilities for their film. As every film is unique, equipment and facilities access will be established in the development phase at the CSIF’s discretion. A CSIF member will mentor the participant with advice and creative support for the completion of the project.
The successful applicant will receive a $1,000 CAD bursary for a commission fee and towards production costs. All other additional equipment, facilities, and production costs will be the responsibility of the participant.
Upon the completion of the project, and pending funding availability (confirmed June 2017), the mentorship recipient will be invited and provided FREE travel and accommodation to attend their world premiere, imagineNATIVE screening in Toronto! During the Festival the artist will participate in their film screening Q&A and be provided an Artist Delegate Pass to attend all the Festival’s programming, social and professional development activities.
Please note: Projects must be realistic in scope and subject matter for the resources provided, as they must be completed and delivered as a digital file by September 9, 2017. Film information and stills for publications will be required by the end of July 2017. Artist will sign an agreement contract for the participation in the mentorship.
- This call is open to emerging candidates of Indigenous (First Nations, Metis, or Inuit) heritage living in Alberta;
- This call is open to emerging artists of any age with interest and/or relevant experience;
- Candidates must commit to attending the CSIF training workshops from April –August 2017;
- We strongly encourage applicants who are deadline driven, self-starters with basic education or experience in filmmaking;
- Individuals who will be working on existing commissions received by or through imagineNATIVE for the 2017 festival are not eligible to apply for this project;
- You must live in within commuting distance of Calgary in order to access CSIF workshops and equipment. Travel subsidy and cost of living are NOT covered by this mentorship.
Your Application Must Include:
- One-page written short film idea (5 min) detailing the story you wish to tell and your treatment (how stylistically you want to present the story); This can be dramatic, documentary, experimental, music video, or animation. Please include a schedule of how you plan to complete the project by the required delivery date;
- A half to one-page statement on why you would like to participate and how you would benefit from this mentorship;
- Your bio (no resumes or CVs please). Please be certain to indicate your past experience with film, video and other artistic mediums, if any, and your Indigenous affiliation;
- Contact info, including email, mailing address and phone number;
- Email your submission package to email@example.com
Should you have additional questions, please contact Daniel Northway-Frank at imagineNATIVE (416) 585-2333, firstname.lastname@example.org or Nick Haywood at CSIF email@example.com.
The deadline for submissions is Thursday, April 27, 2017 by 5:00PM