imagineNATIVE and DGC Ontario grow partnership with their co-presentation of the inaugural Mini-Lab for Canadian Indigenous Film Directors
Mini- Lab Details + Call for Application
Through a series of daily, private, intensive sessions running October 20-22, 2016, Deer will discuss her own projects and experiences, share best practices of creative and business production, and equip participants with producing savvy needed to develop their projects. The mini-lab will also enhance the program with rare access to industry leaders including the DGC Ontario and attending programmed key Indigenous creatives at the 2016 Festival to engage in-conversation with the group including:
- Evolution of a career: Discussing professional career trajectory, the lessons learned and experience gained, what drives their decisions, the cultural impact and influence of Indigenous heritage on their career, managing and committing to creative and economically driven projects, and work/life;
- D.I.Y. versus team collaboration: distinction, benefits and challenges;
- Case studies of their works to provide guidance and insight on practical processes for developing larger scale directorial vision;
- Directing diversity - content and mediums;
- Development opportunities in Canada and internationally to gain experience and recognition
- The Director-Actor relationship
- Cultural challenges and successes in the Industry
Applicants must be Indigenous Canadian (First Nations, Inuit or Métis) or international Indigenous with Canadian citizenship and be a resident in Canada. Travel and accommodation are not provided; this lab takes place during the imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival in Toronto from October 20 to 22, 2016 and all successful applicants must be available for this period.
Applicants must submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Location (Country, Province, City)
- Indigenous Affiliation
- CV and filmography including awards and festivals listing
- 1 page (max) letter of intent detailing your interest in the lab and how you hope the mini-lab will improve your skills.
- Online links to two (2) prior works in a directorial role
Deadline for applications is September 25, 2016. Applicants will be notified of their results by October 1, 2016. For further information, please email Daniel Northway-Frank.