imagineNATIVE Story Lab
Born of the desire to give support for works in progress and to create development opportunities for screenwriters at the Festival, the Story Lab brings together industry professionals and some very lucky scripts.
Up to six (6) selected script and participants will be assigned in groups of three to industry mentors, who will spend 90 minutes helping to strengthen these short film projects towards production. Participants will be expected to contribute to the discussion of two other projects at the table (scripts to be sent a week before the Festival), and will also receive feedback/suggestions on their project in a group-learning environment led by the mentor.
Each project is allotted 30 minutes of discussion time.
Confirmed 2016 Screenwriting Mentors include John Galway (President, English Language Program at Bell Media’s The Harold Greenberg Fund) and 2015 Story Editing Mentorship recipient, Eva Thomas.
The deadline for submissions is September 28 at 9AM EST.
To qualify for the Story Lab, you must be the following:
- Available to attend Story Lab event, 2.5 hours on Friday October 21 and on Saturday October 22 at the TIFF Bell Lightbox (location TBD)
- Committed to reading up to 6 scripts and making notes on each before participating at the workshop
How to Submit
Please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with
"STORY LAB – Your Name" in the subject line:
- 10-page short fiction film script Word .doc OR 10 pages of a longer short film (including synopsis) OR a synopsis and treatment for a narrative FEATURE FILM (no screen plays, please)
- A Cover Letter outlining your eligibility for the Working Lab including:
- Indigenous affiliation
- film credit on imagineNATIVE Programmed work (if any), or professional exhibition experience
- Up to 250-word biography
Please note: travel, accommodations and food will not be provided.
Applications will be reviewed by mentors and programming staff. Selected participants will be contacted by October 3. Please email Daniel Northway-Frank, Industry Director, if you have any questions.