imaginenative/nbfc incubator Program
Call for Applicants
Deadline: December 15, 2017
Are you an emerging Indigenous media artist living in New Brunswick? Do you have an innovative and exciting idea for a 5-minute short film?
Explore Digital or Bolex filmmaking through the New Brunswick Film Co-operative’s workshops, equipment and facilities. Shoot and edit your project to completion and then see it on the big screen at the 19th annual imagineNATIVE film + media arts festival in Toronto! Your film may also be shown at the Silver Wave Film Festival in New Brunswick.
You will be provided with a full NBFC Membership and be eligible to enroll in a number of training workshops offered during their Winter and Spring 2018 calendar of workshops. You will be helped by NBFC’s knowledgeable staff and Producer Lisa Jodoin will act as your mentor, providing advice and assistance through the development, production, post-production and distribution stages of your project.
The participant will receive the opportunity to use the NBFC’s extensive equipment and facilities for their film. As every film is unique, equipment and facilities access will be established in the development phase at the NBFC’s discretion.
The successful applicant will receive a $1,000 CAD bursary for a commission fee and towards production costs. The funds will go directly to the Producer (Lisa Jodoin) who will manage them through all phases of the project, as part of the mentorship. All other additional equipment, facilities, and production costs will be the responsibility of the participant.
Upon the completion of the project, the mentorship recipient’s film will premiere in Toronto and the recipient will be provided with an Artist Delegate Pass to attend all of imagineNATIVE’s festival programming, social and professional development activities, should they be able to attend (travel and accommodation not provided).
Please Note: Projects must be realistic in scope and subject matter for the resources provided, as they must be completed and sent via digital file format by September 11, 2018. The NB Film Co-op will assist the artist with this. Film information and stills for publications will be required by the end of July 2018. The successful applicant will be asked to sign an agreement contract for their participation in the mentorship program.
- This call is open to emerging media artists and filmmakers (director, writer or producer) of Indigenous (status and non-status First Nations, Métis, Inuit or any international Indigenous Nation) heritage living in New Brunswick
- Candidates must commit to attending the NBFC training workshops from April–August 2018. We strongly encourage applicants who are deadline-driven and self-starters
- Individuals who will be working on existing commissions received by or through imagineNATIVE for the 2018 festival are not eligible to apply for this project
- Preference will be given to artists who have not yet had the opportunity to work in film (Note: you do not have to be a youth, but youth may also apply)
- You must live in NB within commuting distance of Fredericton in order to access NBFC workshops and equipment. Travel subsidy and cost of living are NOT covered by this mentorship
Your Application Must Include:
- One-page short film idea that details the story you want to tell and how you want to tell it (visual style). Your film idea can fall under any genre: drama, documentary, experimental, music video, animation. Please include a schedule of how you plan to complete the project by the required delivery date
- A half to one-page statement on why you would like to participate and how you would benefit from this mentorship program
- *Please Note: with the spirit of Indigenous oral storytelling in mind, the first two (2) components of this application can alternatively be submitted as a 5 min (max) video via a private YouTube or Vimeo link*
- Your bio (no resumes or CVs please). Please be certain to indicate your past experience with film, video and other artistic mediums, if any, and your Indigenous heritage
- List of and CVs of additional crew other than the applicant, if applicable (must receive final approval by NBFC and imagineNATIVE before confirmation of production)
- Contact info including e-mail, mailing address and phone number
- Please e-mail all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you have additional questions, please call Cat at: (506) 455-1632 or e-mail email@example.com
The NBFC will also purchase a new WIFT-AT membership for the winner of this grant to give them the opportunity to network with a great organization. To find out more about WIFT-AT: http://wift-at.com/
Application Deadline: Friday December 15th, 2017 by email: firstname.lastname@example.org